Have you joined the turketarian movement yet? If not you should! Turkey is great everyday and not just on Turkey Tuesday.
While exploring Butterball recipes on Allrecipes.com I discovered another hit with my family, Grilled Turkey Cuban Sandwiches.
Grilled Turkey Cuban Sandwiches
Non-stick cooking spray
1(3 pound) Butterball® Boneless Breast of Turkey Roast, thawed
2 cloves garlic, peeled, sliced
1 tablespoon canola oil
1tablespoon ground cumin
1teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
2loaves Cuban, French or Italian bread (15 inches long)
1/4 cup honey mustard
1/2 pound smoked ham
1/2 pound sliced Swiss cheese
12 sandwich-style dill pickle slices
- Spray cold grate of outdoor gas grill with cooking spray. Prepare grill for medium indirect heat.
- Remove turkey from package. Dry with paper towels. Discard gravy packet or refrigerate for another use (within 2 – 3 days). Lift string netting and shift position on roast for easier removal after cooking. Cut small slits, at least 1 inch apart, over entire surface of turkey. Insert 1 garlic slice into each slit. Brush turkey with oil.
- Combine cumin, salt and pepper. Sprinkle over turkey.
- Place turkey on grill grate over drip pan. Cover grill with lid. Grill 1 1/4 to 1-3/4 hours, or until meat thermometer reaches 170 degrees F when inserted into center of roast. Remove from grill. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Remove string netting. Cut half of the turkey into six 1/8-inch-thick slices. Set aside. Refrigerate unsliced turkey for another use.
- Cut each bread loaf lengthwise in half. Then, cut each into 3 pieces (for 6 sandwiches). Spread the bottom half of each section with 2 teaspoons mustard. Top with the sliced turkey, ham, cheese and pickles. Cover with tops of bread loaves. Press sandwiches with hands to flatten. Tightly wrap individually in aluminum foil.
- Place wrapped sandwiches on grill grate. Top each with heavy iron skillet or brick. Grill 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until heated through.
- Serve sandwiches warm, wrapped in aluminum foil.