Are you ready for some Nascar? The Daytona 500 is coming up this weekend! My boys loves Nascar. They each have their own favorite drivers, my oldest is a Dale Jr fan, my middle son likes Kasey Kane and my youngest son likes Tony Stewart. A few years ago we even were lucky enough to take our entire family to a race in the Poconos and my boys became even more hooked. Hopefully now that we are back in North Carolina we can make a race in Charlotte or even Darlington. I know my boys would love it. Until we get back to the track my kids will have to watch the race on TV and for us that means race day snacks.
I have come up with some great Apricot Sriracha Wings that I get to eat also because they are gluten free. The wings are not breaded and baked instead of fried. I came up with a sweet and spicy sauce that my family has fallen in love with. It gets the sweet from Apricot Preserves and Brown Sugar and it’s spice from Sriracha Sauce. I will be recovering from the Disney Princess Half Marathon while my family is home watching the Daytona 500 but these wings are easy to make and I am sure my husband will have no problem whipping them up.
Look at how easy it is!
You start with 4 pounds of chicken wings. You lay them in a single layer on a parchment lined cookie sheet and then sprinkle with fresh ground pepper and salt. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven.
They will need to bake 30-40 minutes until golden, skin looks crispy and the juices run clear.
While the wings are baking you make the wing sauce. In a saucepan add apricot jam, brown sugar, soy sauce, sriracha sauce and ground ginger. Cook on medium, stirring occasionally and bring to a boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes and then reduced heat to low and cook for an additional 10 minutes allowing the sauce to reduce and thicken. If the sauce coats a spoon like below and is thick like syrup, it is done.
Place cooked wings in a bowl and add about a 1/2 cup of the apricot sriracha sauce.
Toss the wings and sauce evenly coating the wings.
and then Enjoy! Any remaining sauce can be used for dipping.
- 4lbs chicken wings
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup apricot preserves
- ¼cup soy sauce
- 1tsp ground ginger (1 TB grated fresh ginger can be used)
- 2 TB sriracha sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- On a parchment lined baking sheet place wings in a single late and season with salt and pepper. Place in oven and bake 30-45 minutes until juices run clear.
- In a saucepan add apricot preserves, brown sugar, soy sauce, sriracha sauce and ginger and cook on medium and bring to a boil stirring occasionally.
- Boil for 3-4 minutes and then reduced heat to low and simmer for additional 10 minutes allowing the sauce to reduce.
- When wings are done place in a large bowl and drizzle about ½ cup Apricot-Sriracha sauce on top. Mix wings until well coated.
- The remaining sauce can be used for dipping.